Many subcontract service providers charge a standard fee in addition to the per unit charge for their subcontract service provided.
Sample Scenario - Fixed Lot Charge in addition to the Subcontract per unit charge
For a given painting process the subcontractor charges a $100 setup fee regardless of job size, and then a $5.00 per unit charge to paint the components. In this case, you would set up your standard subcontract routing with a $5.00 per unit supplier price. For the lot charge, you will create a special fixed qty descriptor.
Steps to create a lot charge fixed qty Descriptor
- Create a Descriptor for this specific lot charge (Type = MISC)
- Optionally create an Item Category to classify your Subcon lot charge
- Set the Est Cost of the descriptor equal to the lot cost, in our example $100. Leave the Sell Price blank.
- Set the Default Supplier = Subcontractor Supplier
- It is important that you enter the Subcontractor Supplier against this descriptor. The descriptor with a supplier will be needed for this line to show up in your Jobs - Job Subcontracting menu to add to your subcontract PO.
- Add this Descriptor as a component with a Usage Qty of 1 and the Set the Fixed Qty Checkbox to True
- Setting the Fixed Qty is very important. This will ensure that regardless of Job size this descriptor lot charge will always come into the Job with a qty of 1
- Note: the cost class in the Bill of Material for this lot charge descriptor will be MISC
- When a Job is now created, this newly added Descriptor will be present with a Qty of 1. When you release the Job and go to Jobs - Job Subcontracting, this lot charge descriptor will be available to include with your PO for your per unit subcon charge for the Job.